All UK cemeteries are at risk. Councils want to dig up all graves to sell off as 'new' burial plots. This video tells the story:
FIND OUT MORE:
• Woods & Nature - Acres of inner London woods are being cut down
• Heritage - Graves and memorials destroyed, including War Graves
• Families - Not consulted, families say 'No' to digging up their dead
• Religious Discrimination - Burial excludes up to half of residents for whom burial is the only option
• Politics - Southwark Council's shameful burial cover-up, misleading the public, denying its own plans
Save the Woods and Graves of Southwark’s Cemeteries
Acres of trees already cut down and graves destroyed in the two Camberwell Cemeteries.
‘I went to scatter my mum's ashes at my grandparents' graves... but it was missing’
Southwark Council is burying over the dead and wants to dig up thousands of graves for new burial plots - with devastating consequences for nature and heritage.
Acres of woods and graves have already been lost. But acres remain to be saved.
Stop Southwark bulldozing our cemeteries. Save them as nature reserves.
Memorials destroyed for Southwark massive grave reuse project. September 2017.
Two acres of woods and graves already destroyed. March 2017.
£2M of trees destroyed to make it easier to reuse graves. July 2017.
Acres flattened for 'new' burial plots over graves, including dozens of CWGC War Graves. March 2017.
For inner London burial plots - sterile, commercial - and unsuitable for as many as half of all residents for whom burial is the only option. April 2017.
Let us know what you think - visit our Facebook page by clicking below.
See aerial views of the cemeteries, below.
Still much to save. Above June 2015. Below July 2017